Wouldn’t it be cool if you could be on any Mac and load your VoiceOver preferences? Well, with VoiceOver’s Portable Preferences setting and iCloud Drive you can. Here is how to set it up.
On your Mac
- Open Disk Utility from the Go menu under the Utilities folder, or by searching for it in Spotlight Search.
- Select the file menu and go to New Image.
- Give the image a name, and save the image to iCloud Drive.
- You will then need to give it a name that is shown when you open the image, and a size. 1 to 20 MB is adequate.
- You may now close Disk Utility
- Open VoiceOver Utility through System Preferences, or through Spotlight Search
- Under General, find Portable Preferences and activate the setup button. Once set up, this will change to a Start or Stop button
- select the disk image that you created and press enter.
- Your VoiceOver settings will now be saved on iCloud Drive!
On another Mac
- Login to iCloud on a guys account, or your own account. If this is not possible, go to iCloud.com and login.
- Go to iCloud Drive in Finder, or activate the iCloud Drive link in Safari
- Find the disk image and activate it. You will need to download and then activate the image if using iCloud.com
- Close the finder window that comes up after opening the disk image.
- Open VoiceOver Utility and click the setup button.
- Select your disk image and your preferences will be loaded.
That’s it! This lets you have all of your VoiceOver settings on any Mac you go to. Keep in mind that view website each computer you use this with will need to have all of the voices downloaded that you have set in your VoiceOver preferences.
Having trouble making the disk image? Download one from us. We even have some VoiceOver preferences saved, so all you need to do is select this image and make changes as you like.