Ever wanted to know if something gets posted on the web about you or an interest that you follow? Google has a service called Google alerts to help with that.
How does it work
Google Alerts is a service that lets you sign up for email alerts for many popular topics. They also have a search box that lets you add custom alerts, so you can add your name or any other topic to email alerts.
When you opt in for alerts, you will receive an alert whenever Google finds that a page was added to their index with your keyword.
How to set up alerts
Here is how to set up a custom alert.
- Go to http://google.com/alerts
- Pick popular alerts that you would like to follow
- Find the search box and type the custom alert you would like to add. An example would be your name.
- You can also select the Show Options button to make more precise changes like how often you receive alerts and how you receive the alert. You can select your Google email address or you can make an RSS feed to put on your website or in an app.
- Once you are done, select Add Alert
You will need a Google account to use this feature but Google Alerts is a great feature from Google if you are a new business or a person wanting to get the news for research.